SLC is very left wing, regardless of the Church influence, sold out to the Federal gov. long time ago or grant money UofU etc. Even at that SLC residents believe Ut. ends at Payson in the south, Parleys Canyon, on East, Brigham on the North, and the airport on the west. How ever left the city is Park City makes it look conservative.

Anything north of Brigham city is people who settled there because the Church had gone astray, and are more Catholic? than the Pope. Logan, is a college town, and if you want a students priority above yours, move there.
Pocatello is also college with and some fixed heavy industry.
Idaho Falls is a large drinking community with a medium agricultural problem, drinking part started by the Navys presence at the National Reactor Testing Station. (they have some really good shooting schools there Benny Cooley)

Twin Falls is also very left wing with large amount of migrant workers at the Chobani yogurt factory, and related ag. concerns in the area. Recently had several rapes by moslims of underage girls. . Not sure if they got lynched or not,

Filer and Hagerman areas would be could choices, as well as Idaho City outside of Boise although the visuals are nothing like central utah. If you really want to get away the area above Elko and Wells is outstanding, The Ruby range in Wells and Humbolt wilderness area west of Jackpot.

Heber is more of Park City but if you keep going north towards Beaver and Ft. Bridger in Wyo. it pretty cool. Getting into Butch Cassidy and Sundance country hideout.

if you like winters, Dubois, Cody or Thermopiles are great.

Alway enjoy traveling and doing business in the midwest. When they found out I wasn't LSD but grew up there, they would take me in, rehabilitate so sympathetic, I could sell anything. Even though I wasn't a salesman.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old