I've lived a number of places, and pretty much liked them all...

West suburbs of Portland, OR about 35 years ago. Dismal winters, great people, glorious spring, summer and fall, access to mountains, beaches, and much more. Probably wouldn't be high on my list of places to move to, but I sure enjoyed the time I spent there.

Minden, NV, about 25 years ago. Right on the east side of the Sierras, and there is a green ribbon about half a mile wide at the base of the mountains. Had a glorious view of the Sierras, a gravel pit to shoot in within a quarter mile, really interesting people. Lots to like. Strong winds in the summer. Dinner and a show at Tahoe was quite affordable. The Walker River was easily accessible.

St. Joseph, in SW Michigan. Garden spot of the midwest. Breezes off Lake Michigan keep it cooler in the summer, though it does get lake effect snow in winter. Plentiful wildlife, and plenty of boating and fishing opportunities. Kids went to a real first class high school and got a great education. It's right across the river from Benton Harbor, which is a bit of a different story.

Now I'm in Layton, UT and I think it's the best place I've lived.

Rocky is right about the water. It is the limiting resource. There have been serious conflicts over water rights. A place with an old well is an advantage, but not a make or break situation. Older wells have rights over newer wells. Some areas in SE Idaho had to quit pumping irrigation water, because older wells many miles away had prior rights, and the aquifer was being depleted.

Good luck with your search. If you're headed out this way, drop me a PM and I will show you around a bit if you like.

You might want to check:
*Vernal. Smallish town, NE corner of the state.
*Tooele. Smallish, but with an Army Depot. Only 20 minutes to the airport, 40 minutes to SLC.
*Smithfield. Small town north of Logan. Don't let them kid you about the climate. It's colder than here, because of the altitude, but I grew up in SE Idaho and I think it is no worse than that, and maybe milder.
*Payson. Mostly a bedroom community south of Provo.
*St. George. Also known as St. Geezer because so many people retire there. Hot for a while in summer, but much milder winters than here. If you're tired of snow, this is your destination.
*Huntsville. Beautiful spot, up in a high valley. Borders Pineview Reservoir. Harsher winters, easy access to shopping in Ogden.

Last edited by denton; 08/19/19.

Be not weary in well doing.