Originally Posted by 4th_point
I'd call an independent repair facility for a second opinion, or quote for diagnosis. I couldn't bring myself to pay $450 to repair those old 8x30 SLC.

Bought my 2nd Gen 7x30 SLC's brand new in 1991. In 2010 I noticed the Dreaded Crystals forming. Called Swaro. They said "We know all about it, send them in." The binos came back entirely updated to 4th Gen Neu style with new housing, eyepieces, new focusing parts, latest dialectic coatings on the prisms, new coatings on the lenses, new armor. For free.

In 1995 bought a pair of 1st Gen 8x30's at a bar in Chama, NM for $200. The 1st Gen are not nearly as good as the later generations, they're not even waterproof. A few years ago the focusing became rachety and I sent them in. Four days after I mailed them I got an email from Swaro laying out my options: They would "restore them to their original condition free of charge but this generation is not up to current Swarovski standards." Or they would entirely update them with the current coatings and new, improved prisms with the Neu housing and eyepieces, and armor. For $500. Last I had known a full update had been around $300. I called and asked why so much more and CS said the update now includes new improved prisms. So I laid my credit card on them.

I have compared my updated 7x30's and 8x30's to lots of binos since, and in the 30-32mm and 20 oz class it is only the 32mm EL/Ultravids/Victorys that beat them. And they are as good as some of the well regarded 2nd tier 42mm binos I've compared them too. I would have to spend $1800 or more to improve what I have for my primary hunting binos. Although I've been told the new Kowa 33mm's are probably the equivalent of the European alpha 32mm's.

I have had nothing but honest dealings with Swaro and people I know have had nothing but honest dealings with them. If Swaro says a pair of their used binos have cracked prisms I find it ridiculous to believe they are lying.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.