Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by irfubar

Swarovoski told me both prism's are cracked..... yet the right barrel focus's fine the left barrel won't focus.... and what are the odds of both prism's being cracked?

The odds are good you bought a pair of binos with both prisms already cracked. The view was probably degraded a bit and the binos being new to you it was hard to tell. I don't know if you knew the seller, or if the seller knew something was wrong or unwittingly sold them to you with the prisms cracked. I also don't know if the binos sat in a controlled environment for while before being sold or if the seller unloaded them as soon as he figured out something was wrong.

But with use, and exposure to temperature differentials the cracks in the prisms--or cracks in one of them--almost certainly propagated to what you have now. I don't know what you originally paid for the binos, but $260 for what will be a still an upgraded 30mm SLC will net you far more bino than most 30-32mm binos under $1000. Pay the $150 for new lens and coatings and it will make the bino even better.

You are getting a very good deal from Swaro for binos you bought used and were most likely already damaged--and Swaro is even willing to work with you. Kudos to Swaro.

Also, it's a really bad idea to go to a second party repair shop.

I hope you make the right decision.

Aside from a manufacturing defect, how would prisms crack and the exterior of the bino show no sign of damage?

These are supposedly the very best binos, designed for serious hunting and outdoor use,

For the price charged they should be able to stand carried any fits bed in the field and extremes of temperature. If they can’t handle some time in the field and done cold or hot weather, then regardless of optical quality they are unfit for use as a hunting optic.