When I had 'em, I used to run my two heeler mutts alot through town next to my bike, otherwise at that time I'd take 'em for hour-long walks early in the morning before work...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

During that ten-year period I always carried a 9oz can of bear spray, put bulls and other loose dogs were always a constant worry and, here in the city, shooting even a vicious dog would get complicated.

Almost all charging dogs are actually bluffing and my dogs were usually the target rather than me. Anyways, I do recall using the spray eight times over a ten year period, after each time I replaced it though I had only used a fraction of it..

Only time it didn't work at the first blast was when a rott had already closed in on my loose dog and she was running ovals trying to get away and stay close to me at the same time. That rottweiler got a blast in the face every pass, finally stopped after the third pass and began rubbing her face in the grass.

IIRC the other seven dogs were; one big yellow mutt, one other rottweiler, three pits, a boxer and one for the life I me I cannot recall, but I do remember using the spray eight times.

In every case the inbound dog ignored all my yelling and posturing and came right at us, in every case other than that one rottweiler that sudden 20-30ft blast of spray appeared to instantly startle the dog from "fight" to "flight" mode, throwing a switch inside its head. Most times I actually missed with the spray, shooting low, aim about 2ft above a charging dog's back if ya wanna hit it.

$50 a pop, $400 over ten years, was still much cheaper in complications, legalisms time and money than shooting 'em. Easier too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744