Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I like pit bulls and have had a number of them through the years. My last one was Ruby, and I had to put her down a few months ago at 14 years old. She saved my wife's life when my last Catahoula turned on her for some unknown reason. We've had 3 Catahoula Leopard dogs that I put down because they got to aggressive and we couldn't control them, I won't give that breed any more chances. No more big dogs for us were planning on traveling and been thinking about a Jack Russell or some other kind of ankle biter.

Dang! I hate to hear that about your Catahoulas. We have one now that is a great family dog.

They are great dogs but get really possessive with age. Why Gumbo turned on my wife is anyone's guess, she's an animal lover and has been attacked 3 different times by dogs. All 3 of our Catahoulas would bite if you got out of your vehicle in our yard, sometimes, no growling or barking just bite the heck out of someone. It got to the point where you had to chain them if someone drove into the yard because you never knew what was going to happen.

Our Catahoula is reserved with strangers, but will warm up in a bit. She really doesn’t like to be pet/handled by anyone. I like to aggravate her a bit, by petting and messing with her. She knows that I am just teasing her. She is the most playful dog that I have ever seen. She constantly wants to either play tug of war, fetch, or play fight. I have pushed her temperment quite a bit, yet she won’t bite. She loves us all, and we are HER family. With the exception of one other dog (another female), she’s is great with other dogs too. It would break our hearts if she ever developed a temperament problem.