Originally Posted by PA_Bob
One question: Why? So many alternatives with excellent track records. Flame away.

Why try any bullet at all, Bob? They make factory loaded ammo with Core-Lokts and Powerpoints. Why not just shoot that stuff? It kills just fine. If you can hit with it. If there is no wind. If you are no more than a couple hundred yards away. If you shoot it in the ribs. And so it goes, Bob.

I started shooting Bergers because they were the first bullet that advertised high-BC. They turned my "300 yd" 30-06 into an actual 700 yd hunting rifle, and for BIG animals. Then I learned that 700 might as well be 1500 in a variable crosswind, and most of my scoped rifle shots (when I hunt open country and big burns and canyons) are in the 350-500 range, and even a 30-06 isn't needed to kill BIG animals at those ranges. There are other options now, but they don't necessarily work "better" than the Bergers for me. As I stated above, I've never had a 30 cal 185 or 190 NOT exit. So they are accurate, carry their energy extremely well, buck the wind, fly flat, transfer their energy extremely well, and exit every time, at both extremely short and fairly long range. This is just my experience, but it covers lots of seasons, lots of animals, lots of situations, and lots of success.

The real question is: Why would you try anything else? I know the answer. It is all over this thread. It is IGNORANCE.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.