Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
What I don't get is why anyone anywhere would get even slightly emotional over bullet choice. I had a less than desirable experience with this bullet when it came to meat damage, very dead deer though. Others have had good luck and are happy with their choice. Great!! Arguing for the sake of arguing has always seemed less than logical to me.

MM

I agree that there is often little point to intellectual debate in reality, and I also agree that you should make the choices in gear that best serve your ends as you see them.

What I have noted every time I have seen one of these "Berger bullets for hunting" threads is a bunch of guys who have never used them and won't show up and talk about how crappy they are. Funny enough, the paradigm nearly always involves Berger vs Barnes. I think that's a false paradigm. I've used Bergers a lot more than Barnes bullets, but in my experience, their performance has been identical at the ranges they have been used. Both put holes through animals' vitals, and both killed quickly and cleanly.

There are several reasons why I don't get on the Barnes bandwagon, and one of those is that for Barnes guys, it's often like a religion. I don't see it like that. They are just bullets. There doesn't need to be a huge belief system with complex and ambiguous ethical guidelines just to pick a bullet to kill things with. THEY ALL WORK.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.