Originally Posted by Tejano
Another option is the Scenar, more of the same but a slightly heavier jacket. I think people like me who like the hot rod cartridges and shoot at modest ranges don't appreciate them. Folks who run medium cartridges and medium velocities at longer ranges seem to be the ones who like them the most.

Question for those that use Bergers. Will switching to the target version reduce the fragmentation much due to heavier jackets on the target models?

I don't think there is much difference in the jacket. The hybrid is less sensitive to seating depth than the regular bergers, and thus easier to get shooting accurately. You don't have to piddle with them much for them to shoot well. As to the scenars, they are a great bullet. My boy shoots them in an old rem. 700 that I got from Pat. ( scenar shooter). He and I have killed a couple big muledeer, the biggest was a 202" buck with a huge body, close to that of a spike bull, as well as a big bull elk, and several wolves. We had had exits on all of them, with one buck being killed at just over 400 yds. I think the Scenar are definitely harder than the bergers.I have not had them fragment like the bergers, and not as much tissue damage. I am not sure if the scenar implodes on itself like the Berger does, or if it opens like a more traditional hollow point. They are a great bullet though.