Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Then I guess you're one of those guys who (for whatever reason) buy into the Campfire mantra of advice of "use whatever bullet shoots best." Which is irrelevant for 99% of big game hunting.

Due to another of these threads, the other day I added up the brands and types of bullets I've personally used on "big game" in various places in North America and around the world. Turned out there were 15 brands, and 40+ types among those brands. Have also been standing next to hunting partners who used a few other brands/types.(Oh, and have also used the .358 Winchester and .45-70 enough with various bullets to know how they work, along with AccuBonds in calibers from 6.5mm to .375, at various velocities.)

ALL of those bullets worked well, as long as the game and range was within their design limitations. Some did not work so well, when used outside their limitations.

However, how "well" they worked also depended on how the hunter felt about ideal cartrdge/bullet performance. Some believe that a certain cartridge or bullet will always "DRT" big game. Have yet to encounter either--unless the bullet broke both "front" shoulders, or hit the central nervous system.

Have also run into a lot of hunters who believe a bullet's retained weight, or whether it exits, or shoots "half inch groups all day long--if I do my part" is the ONLY solution. Have seen plenty of exceptions to those as well.

That said, have yet to see a Berger hunting bullet destroy a lot of meat UNLESS it was put into, or very close to, the shoulder of a big game animal. And have shot (and seen shot) a bunch of big game at under 100 yards with Bergers. This does NOT mean a lot meat damage it isn't possible, of course, but it also doesn't mean that a grumpy hunter who used a great long-range bullet on one animal at 60 yards means much. Sorry.

Not sure where you’re going with this. I clearly stated it was my experience and under those conditions In which I used it, it performed thus. I was not making broad sweeping statements about whether the bullet is good or bad. My experience does mean a lot to me because I’ve used many other bullets under similar situations with similar shot placement and had much better results. Good for you that it works, I mean that by the way not in a snide way, I just don’t feel the need to try it again as I’ve had success with other bullets. Nothing grumpy about it.
What does bother me is another posters response implying ignorance/stupidity because of relating my actual experience, limited as it was.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi