Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mitchellmountain,

Out of curiosity, where did you shoot the doe?

I've actually gotten less meat destruction with Bergers than conventional bullets--especially if I shoot game behind the shoulder. Unlike most expanding bullets, they don't started to expand until they penetrate 2-3". Then they really expand, the reason they kill quickly.

Most expanding bullets start to expand as soon as they hit skin, the reason most meat damage occurs around the entrance hole. But with Bergers you often have to part the hair to find the tiny entrance hole. Or at least that has been my experience with dozens of them on game up to elk-size.

I even once tried to get one to "explode" on the shoulder of a 200-pound feral goat I'd just dropped with a lung shot, by standing 8-10 feet away and shooting the big joint. That bullet also didn't started to expand until it went through the joint, but it was a 185-grain .30 started at about 2750 from a .30-06. A lighter bullet at 3000+ might have come apart on the shoulder, but I dunno.

But guess I am also puzzled why anybody would choose a Berger for "woods" shots.

You're talking to the crowd John that still judges Nosler BTs from their experience on a coyote in 1982, meaning limited to no use let alone in the proper application......grin...

Kinda like Scenars which dig deep, but look like a target bullet so by definition they must suck and blow up too...

I’ve shot north of a 100 white tails with many different bullets factory loaded and hand loads. Many different chamberings. In that situation it performed as I stated, since that scenario isn’t all that uncommon in my area of the country while hunting deer, especially for me as I prefer to still hunt, I won’t be using them again. They may work well in other applications, but I feel no need to experiment further with them. That’s the crowd I’m in I guess.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi