Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
There is a LOT of emphasis on lowering rifle weights as much as possible for mountain hunting, but I seldom read anything on an equal emphasis on lowering body weight for the same benefits. Lets say you are not overweight: your bmi is right where it should be. And you can either reduce your rifle weight by even 1-2 lbs, or you can work on your body weight and lose say 4-5 lbs. Is the loss of body weight going to have the same benefits on your your ability to walk at a good pace in rough conditions as that 1-2 lbs. of less rifle weight to carry. I've never seen anything on this question.

1-2 lbs less in a rifle will be very noticeable to a person going up a mountain (or even walking flat). It's easy to feel the difference as soon as you pick it up and that difference never goes away.

4-5 lbs less body weight at the same level of fitness will be very hard for a person to notice going up a mountain.....again, at the same level of fitness.

Regardless of how well or poorly conditioned a person is, it's always easier to carry 7 lbs in their hand than it is to carry 9 lbs in their hand.

I'm a believer in being in good condition year round. For me, circuit and interval training for both lifting and cardio is the best fit. I believe it is the most time efficient way to maximize results that apply directly to the way I hunt as well as general fitness for everyday life. Find what works for you and a way you can implement it continually throughout the year doing something you enjoy.