Originally Posted by battue
Would like to know how many who posted spend more than a mile on their feet at the end of the day. Around here....which isn't the same everywhere, but in more places than a few.....Deer hunters are mostly perched in trees.

I understand what you're saying....but...

On non-rainy days that I'm likely to be perched in a tree, the hike up the mountain can be pretty tough. Some days it's a mile +, other days it may only be 1/2 mile....in a few locations it may only be a few hundred yards. With few exceptions, it's always up the mountain (on the way in). One of the issues that makes it tougher is time, which translates to increased speed of the hike. The additional weight of a stand or saddle setup, plus the extra rush/time needed for the tree climb/setup makes it tougher as well. Days I'm hunting perched in a tree are the most physically taxing. Saving weight any way I can is helpful.

On rainy days, when I'll be still hunting, on my feet covering much more ground, but also moving at a much slower pace, with much less weight carried, are really less physically taxing than a rushed hike with a lot more weight...but a lighter rifle in hand still feels much better than a heavier one.

Again, I understand what you're saying. I should add, I work to stay in shape year round, but don't pay much attention to my bodyweight, other than trying to avoid losing it.