Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
There is a LOT of emphasis on lowering rifle weights as much as possible for mountain hunting, but I seldom read anything on an equal emphasis on lowering body weight for the same benefits. Lets say you are not overweight: your bmi is right where it should be. And you can either reduce your rifle weight by even 1-2 lbs, or you can work on your body weight and lose say 4-5 lbs. Is the loss of body weight going to have the same benefits on your your ability to walk at a good pace in rough conditions as that 1-2 lbs. of less rifle weight to carry. I've never seen anything on this question.

My best shooting rifles are LW Nula's and a re-barreled Kimber. I may use a heavier rifle, but have yet to have a miss I would blame on the LW's.

As far as losing 4-5 pounds....4 to 5 of itself, will not do one much good on endurance, without being in better physical condition than before you lost the 4-5. Many loose more than than 4-5, and are in no better shape than previously. Conversely, one could hit the weights, along with improving cardio and gain 10 pounds, and be in better hunting shape than when they were lighter.

Been hanging around long enough for certain truths to become evident...One being, most people over 40 are not in shape...and most will not put in the effort to be so. And only losing 4-5 pounds means little if the work isn't put in.

And as far as shooting a heavy better than a lightweight...I find it to be true when shooting off the bench or fooling around from off hand...However, when the adrenaline and focus is on edge...I find little difference.

Last edited by battue; 10/15/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler