Back to the OP.

Just my .02c.

Yup brown bear hunting is not the same as mountain hunting.

The 375 H&H is the perfect brown bear rifle (unless you're a guide most of whom prefer the 458s or 416 Rem) so weight is really a non issue.

You can stop reading now, but here are some pearls I've learned over the years of BB hunting:

1. You can't train for climbing through the alders. Nope. Nada.
2. You will have shed all the weight you need to in your tent before you even go out. Even if you decide to go hike for a glassing hill farther away.
3. The only weather worse than on Kodiak is on the peninsula.
4. Good thing you eat natural plant fiber- don't wear any on Kodiak.
5. Avoid Gore Tex it's a sponge.
6. Avoid the semi sponge Sitka/Kuiu rain shells. After a couple-three days they're done & you can't adequately dry them out until they've been in the tent for a couple-three days (and burned up too much propane to do so). H/H is the only gear that will repel water day, after day, after day.
7. Buy small dry bags for your lighter layered outers and the heavy coat that you'll keep in your pack. You will need both.
8. Contractor trash bags to put your pack in while it rains.
9. Rubber orange crabber gloves for glassin in the rain. (Liners are nice but not necessary).
10. The easiest way to shed weight on a BB hunt is to not bring a spotting scope.........but that requires someone else will need to have one.

Have fun. Brown bear hunting is a blast. I have a love/hate thing for Kodiak.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 10/20/21.