Originally Posted by battue
Great attitude....keep at it!!!! Which goes back to one of my first thoughts. Good legs are one of the things that make carrying things easier. Without them, everything get heavier....

Example: Good legs and one can carry two 60 pound kettle bells for a 50 yard farmers walk. Without....2x20 may be a chore. We used to have a saying hunting Ruffed Grouse in the Pa Mountains....
"Legs kill Grouse".

I don't have 60lb kettle bells, but I could carry 2 for 50 yards. I was always strong. My dad didn't have a mule so he used me. We loaded pulp wood by hand, cut and hauled fire wood. As a kid I was too dumb to know not to lift as heavy as I could. I did hurt some stuff over the years. I do all kinds of stuff to try to fight back the years. At one time I got pretty fat but I'm very fit for my age now. I'm 55 6'2 180lbs and I exercise at least 3 days a week a few hours at a time.

The HIT type stuff, high intensity interval is supposed to be about the best to bring up VO2 max. There was also an interesting study concerning fasting that was in that fasting fiasco of a post. The basic take was that elite cyclists actually had an increase in VO2 max just from adopting a strict 16-8 fasting protocol. I'm not as influenced by VO2 max increase. I do the fasting to get the increase in testosterone and human growth hormone. I've read studies that equate the hormone boost to what would cost about $3K a month if you paid for it. I don't know if it's all that great, but I can definitely tell a difference when I am being strict about it VS when I get sloppy.