Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
There is a LOT of emphasis on lowering rifle weights as much as possible for mountain hunting, but I seldom read anything on an equal emphasis on lowering body weight for the same benefits. Lets say you are not overweight: your bmi is right where it should be. And you can either reduce your rifle weight by even 1-2 lbs, or you can work on your body weight and lose say 4-5 lbs. Is the loss of body weight going to have the same benefits on your your ability to walk at a good pace in rough conditions as that 1-2 lbs. of less rifle weight to carry. I've never seen anything on this question.

A rifle's weight is NOT the same as your body's weight, and there is not much correlation between lowering one vs the other.

A rifle is a static thing that you carry. It's typically in your hands or on your shoulder, away from your center of gravity. Those pounds are, in the real world on a mountain, heavier pounds than what extra you may be packing on your body.

It stands the test of good sense to have a lean body mass, but as anyone that has spent a lifetime climbing and backpacking will tell you oz's make pounds quickly. And extra pounds on your back or in your hands conspire to deplete energy.

I'm a 60 yo, 5'10", 148 lbs man that eats a whole food, plant-based, low inflammation diet and works out hard. Last weekend I did a 20.3 mile day (actual miles - not fitbit bullchit) here in the Montana Rockies. I felt great, and can promise you there aren't a lot of guys that could have kept pace. But I will pare away ounces mercilessly to preserve energy. OUNCES MAKE POUNDS, POUNDS DEPLETE ENERGY. A rifle is just one place to lose weight, but it's an important one because it's away from your center of gravity through much of a hunting day.

Another important place to lose weight is your footwear...

This is well said. ^^^

Tarquin