Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
There is a LOT of emphasis on lowering rifle weights as much as possible for mountain hunting, but I seldom read anything on an equal emphasis on lowering body weight for the same benefits. Lets say you are not overweight: your bmi is right where it should be. And you can either reduce your rifle weight by even 1-2 lbs, or you can work on your body weight and lose say 4-5 lbs. Is the loss of body weight going to have the same benefits on your your ability to walk at a good pace in rough conditions as that 1-2 lbs. of less rifle weight to carry. I've never seen anything on this question.

A rifle's weight is NOT the same as your body's weight, and there is not much correlation between lowering one vs the other.

A rifle is a static thing that you carry. It's typically in your hands or on your shoulder, away from your center of gravity. Those pounds are, in the real world on a mountain, heavier pounds than what extra you may be packing on your body.

It stands the test of good sense to have a lean body mass, but as anyone that has spent a lifetime climbing and backpacking will tell you oz's make pounds quickly. And extra pounds on your back or in your hands conspire to deplete energy.

I'm a 60 yo, 5'10", 148 lbs man that eats a whole food, plant-based, low inflammation diet and works out hard. Last weekend I did a 20.3 mile day (actual miles - not fitbit bullchit) here in the Montana Rockies. I felt great, and can promise you there aren't a lot of guys that could have kept pace. But I will pare away ounces mercilessly to preserve energy. OUNCES MAKE POUNDS, POUNDS DEPLETE ENERGY. A rifle is just one place to lose weight, but it's an important one because it's away from your center of gravity through much of a hunting day.

Another important place to lose weight is your footwear...

Well said Brad. Why can a smaller kid further out from the fulcrum of a teeter-totter balance with a bigger kid closer in on the other side? A rifle is on a lever away from the fulcrum — the body’s center of gravity — and thus that 10 lb rifle is going to feel a lot heavier than the 7.5 lb rifle at the end of the day. Much heavier than the 2.5 lb difference would suggest. The length of the lever will accentuate the felt weight.

Making an either-or issue of it with extra body weight is a red herring. Lose the extra body weight too if you are embarking on a true mountain hunt. That has nothing to do with rifle weight issue.

It’s an old thread. But, I see the trend for many new rifles tending heavier, at least the one I heft. And making an argument that army issue weapons were heavier..well, yeah, 18 to 20 y/o kids carry them. Still, would you rather hump a BAR all day or an M1 carbine if weight alone is the issue?