Good comments on age and VO2maz. Mine is "excellent" for my age (43-44) but it sure doesn't feel that way when I have a 30 lb pack and climbing 1500 feet of elk mountain. In fact, I've been studying what I can do to be in the best possible condition. I've pondered maxing strength, increase muscular endurance, increasing VO2max - and came to: work on all 3 in different phases. But....

At the end of the day, I'm not as strong as I was in my 30s and 40s, my vo2 max has declined, and my muscular endurance is less. At 60, I'm supposedly in excellent condition as measured by most metrics - but still time has taken its toll.

In the past couple of years I've really noticed it. I climb slower these days and don't try to minimize elk loads any more - 4-5 trips per elk. My main goal every day is to keep my heartrate below 130 bpm as much as I can. I find I can hunt all week if I don't stress my body excessively. I used to pound up the mountain as fast as I could - and need a day off in midweek. I also don't cover 15 miles a day any more. Some days I do, but not often. I generally cover 8-10 miles in an average day, some days a bit less.

And I'm mentoring a couple young guys grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.