Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
It was I who posted the original question way back. I guess what prompted me most was 2 things: in my view there seems to be an obsession with trying to reduce rifle weights. I must admit that I believe mostly because many/most people wanting to achieve that are overweight and not in shape. Many of the people on the campfire post pictures of themselves and their pics and it appears that many are a lot overweight. Then too, my son is an Alaskan guide, and he could tell you many stories of his fat-out of shape clients.

Like the last poster, I do a lot of things to keep weight off and stay in shape. I am 75 years old and like the previous poster Bob, I bear hunt in Alaska with a 10# plus .375 and goat and bear hunt with a 9# .300 WM. Much of that reasoning is that as a youth, I did a lot of small bore shooting. We sure didn't use lightweight rifles to shoot our best and I've never lost that mindset that I can shoot a somewhat heavier rifle more accurately, especially when I'm really excited and have made a hard stalk.

I'm certain that many of you are in better shape, and are better game shots. And you probably shoot well with your ultra-light rifles. Good on you for being able to do both. However, the Lord has given me good health and the ability to make some great hunts, especially with my son in Alaska. I just put more emphasis on conditioning and body weight than shaving another couple pounds off my rifle.

That is definitely the opposite side of the equation with lighter rifles. Your ability to hit longer ranges are definitely impacted.

I would probably adjust my rifle choice if I hunted differently. If I thought I was going to be in a situation that might require a 350+ yard shot, I don't think a 6.5# rifle would be my choice.

But where I am hunting with my son this past weekend deer hunting and cow hunting, I was very happy with my Montana. My son who is trim and fit and in excellent shape packed his heavy as heck bergara and told me at the end, he is done with that rifle and he needs to get a liighter rifle.

Montana MOFO