Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
thank you all for your input. Here is why I ask this question. I am soon to be 74. 6'2" and I've always weighed between 170-175, although I'm probably a small bit heavier at the moment. I eat VERY healthy: almost all plant based food, no beer,no pop, no fast food and no processed food. Work physically hard: still work part time in a potato packing business, cut and split all our firewood, etc.

My son is a guide in alaska and he and I have tags for spring brown bear on Kodiak. We've hunted Kodiak before: it is hours of spotting, but when a decision is made to go, you have to go. And it can be a VERY hard climb up and thru alder patches. It is very difficult to find any place around where I live that duplicates those conditions. I have rifle options, but obviously for brown bear small calibers are out. I want to take my .375 which is kind of "the" brown bear caliber for browns, but it weighs 9 1/2# plus. I have smaller calibers that range from 8 up to 9 lbs, but each of them have their down sides as well. However, its only a difference of 1-2 lbs and so if its the same amount of carry on my shoulder vs. as part of my body, it won't be that difficult to lose another 5 lbs. or so.
If you are now a bit overweight, then definitely lose that 5 lbs as it will make a difference. If you can reduce the weight of the .375 by up to half a pound with a lighter stock that will help a bit. Even quarter of a pound is better than nothing. You wouldn't want the .375 to weigh less than 9 lbs at your age.