Originally Posted by bwinters
Not surprisingly, I agree with Brad on physical stature and conditioning. I'm 58, 5 ft 8, 155 lbs and 11-12% body fat. I spend all year staying in elk condition. Pounds on the body means something different. 2-5 lbs of muscle is not the same as 2-5 of body fat which is simply dead weight. I've weighed as much as 182 lbs back when I was into being as big and strong as I could. Elk hunting at that weight plain sucked because I had little aerobic conditioning. Mitochondria and ATP is where it's at for mountain hunting. Deadlifting 400 lbs or squatting 300 lbs wont help you at all if you dont have the aerobic base/conditioning to capitalize on that strength. Suffice to say, I'll take 2-5 lbs on my frame over 1-1.5 lbs of rifle weight.

I'm taking my Kimber Montana 308 next week (CO 1st season). Weighs 6.7 lbs with a NF SHV on board. It will likely be rebarreled after season to the Lilja 84M modifed contour. I did my 338 Fed with that contour 2 years ago. It points better and is easier to shoot offhand that the standard Kimber 84m contour.

Another factoid in the same vein is boot weight. I forgot the exact equivalent but think its 1 lb on your feet equals 10 lbs on your back. I switched to shoes for hiking this summer (Brad may have told me that several years back....). Have done a bunch of 15-17 mile days with 22 lbs pack this summer. Did several over 20. Weight on your feet is a real thing. Salomon makes their X-Ultra with 200 gr Thinsulate and waterproof plus it has a better tread pattern than the Quest 4d. I'll know how they work after next week. I literally saved 2lbs by switching from my Crispi Guide to the Salomons. Still taking the Crispis in the event it doesnt work so well.....

Good post, bump for a reread.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.