The easiest way to solve the issue, would be in instances where the "public" land is unfenced from the private land, would be to set 4 posts on each corner providing a 4ft or smaller access across the corner from the "public" to the "public", and then increase the trespass fine to something on the order of 2000$, that way it might ensure that the "public" doesn't "inadvertently wander off onto the private land. But then again somebody is going to have to pay for the posts at the current price of about 7$ a pop, not counting the labor expense to get the survey right and the posts and signage installed.
I do find it interesting that the story goes a Game Warden watched the whole thing, and didn't issue a trespass citation, they can and do do that. Seems to me if he/she saw no trespassing going on it would be a simple matter to have him testify in court, the case would be dismissed and no need for a go fund me page. Supposedly the same 4 "hunters" got in the same pickle with the same "landowner" the year before. I'm thinking there's probably a bit more to this than what is cruising around on the internet, and it will be interesting to see what does come about, when it gets to court..
It's a damn shame that the money involved in "hunting" in these modern times is pitting "sportsmen" against landowners. I wonder when TR used the antiquities laws to bust the part of the constitution clearly defining what land the federal government can own, even had a clue as to the nasty mess that would follow 100 and some years down the road.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com