Originally Posted by JamesJr
I tried to like the 7-08 for a few years. Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, tried a lot of different combinations of bullets and powder trying to find "that" load. I could get it to group pretty good at 100 yards, but out past 200 yards was a crap shoot once the barrel started warming up.

I've had 5 rifles chambered in 6.5 CM, two of them Howas and three Remington 700's. Every one of those rifles was accurate out to 500 yards, which was as far as I could shoot, and that was with a heated up barrel and a variety of different bullet and powder combinations.

Now, it's probably unfair to compare one rifle to five, and I'm sure that if I tried more rifles in 7-08 I'd find at least one that shot well. But, my experiences with the 6.5 CM have been so good that I see no need to try another 7-08.

I think you've hit on something JJ. I think people tend to like cartridges that have been accurate for them personally, but the fact is, accuracy has more to do with the rifle and ammo than the cartridge.

Seems like the 6.5 CM has been the beneficiary of a lot of accurate rifles and ammo., as far as people gravitating toward it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.