Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[quote=MontanaMan][quote=JGRaider]
“It’s the boolit, not the head stamp…”

Now where have we heard that?

Good stuff regardless of the source.

DF

No... No... Nooooo.....

As a young child of the 60s, the only rifles I knew anything of were what my Dad and uncles carried. Which, as a matter of record included three 30-06s and one .257 Roberts.
In 1967 my Dad started talking about a mystical, magical cartridge called .243 Winchester. We had recently moved and a new family friend carried a .243 for spot and stalk red fox shooting (which is an addiction), and also used it in Colorado yearly for mule deer and elk.

I can remember the day I first heard the words ".243 Winchester" uttered. We were first timers at the barber shop near our new home, and the sound of the cartridges name drew me. Maybe because it was spoken of with reverence. We made a couple of lifelong friends that day, including the barber, who is (still) one of the biggest names in bird dogs in that area. Also the family friend who introduced us to fox shooting.

In early '69 Dad brought home his model 700 .243. And it was everything it had been described as. In my mind I knew the cartridge was great the first time I heard it's name spoken.
In fact, I wanna postulate that the term "Mic Drop" came about as a result of mention of the .243 Winchester cartridge ending rifle conversations.

I wanna vote that we end all of this "bullets matter more than headstamps" nonsense...
shocked grin cool

"Chances Will Be Taken"