Originally Posted by JamesJr
I tried to like the 7-08 for a few years. Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, tried a lot of different combinations of bullets and powder trying to find "that" load. I could get it to group pretty good at 100 yards, but out past 200 yards was a crap shoot once the barrel started warming up.

I've had 5 rifles chambered in 6.5 CM, two of them Howas and three Remington 700's. Every one of those rifles was accurate out to 500 yards, which was as far as I could shoot, and that was with a heated up barrel and a variety of different bullet and powder combinations.

Now, it's probably unfair to compare one rifle to five, and I'm sure that if I tried more rifles in 7-08 I'd find at least one that shot well. But, my experiences with the 6.5 CM have been so good that I see no need to try another 7-08.

I’ve worked with and been around about a half dozen of each, and precision has been about equivalent between the 6.5 CM and 7-08. One of each has struggled to maintain MOA with 3-shot groups, requiring some load development, and the other five of each chambering have easily achieved MOA for 3 and even 5-shot groups with several loads, with the best loads in a couple 6.5s and a couple 7-08s holding consistent 0.5-0.75 MOA with 5-shot groups.

It’s not a large enough sample size to make any definitive claims about inherent accuracy, but there it is.