IMO there isn't enough difference between the 7-08 and 308. On paper the 7-08 looks a little better, but you're really splitting hairs. With the best loads the way I see it 7-08 beats 308 at 500 yards with about 1" less drop, 35-50 ft lbs more energy and with about 1 ft lb less recoil. When I was deciding between the 2 I didn't handload and the proliferation of 308 ammo and at better prices made 308 a no-brainer for me. Now that I handload the choice would be harder. And at this point in my life I ain't changing, and they are too close to justify both. Probably no reason to own 6.5CM and 7-08 for exactly the same reason. But to me, 223, 6.5CM and 308 make a pretty good trio to own.

The 6.5 CM exactly splits the difference between my 223 and my 308. Recoil is between 243 and 308, but a bit closer to 243. As a hunting cartridge it shoots the same bullet weights as 270 about 200 fps slower at the muzzle, but as range increases the 6.5 is catching up. Somewhere around 300 yards it is a draw. I can't see any animal ever knowing the difference between 6.5CM, 270, 7-08 or 308 for that matter.

I'm not into serious long range target shooting, I but do enjoy some informal plinking at longish ranges. I bought a 6.5 just to try it. So far, I've had a chance to shoot 5-6 of them and every one of them was more accurate than any rifle I've ever shot.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.