Originally Posted by fburgtx
Roads are there for people to GET SOMEWHERE. Usually, that’s work or the store, etc. People are driving somewhere for a PURPOSE.

OTOH, most bicyclists are riding around for RECREATION. Not only that, they are IMPEDING the flow of traffic (unlike someone in a car, out for “fun”). Add those two together, and most peopke get annoyed. Would you get annoyed if people were holding up traffic DANCING in the street? Playing football or basketball in the street??

I don’t fault folks in urban environments using bicycles for TRANSPORTATION. However, riding around, blocking traffic, using a bicycle as a RECREATIONAL device, or apiece of FITNESS equipment, while folks are tryto get to work and pay taxes that PAY FOR THE DANGED ROAD, is frustrating...

Bicyclists do pay for roads.

As I read your post I was trying to think of a way we could establish a hierarchy for road users. Everyone should have to get the hell out of the way of an 18 wheeler carrying food to a grocery store. People going to work should have priority over those driving to the gym. Those driving to the grocery store should have priority over those going out to eat. When there are traffic jams outside of the Super Dome on account of a sporting event and I need to get to a VA appointment, those people should have to get off of the road. Establishing a hierarchy base on necessity is a brilliant idea.