When I was in the second or third grade, we were taught that bicycles were vehicles and subject to the same rules as any other vehicle on the road. We were taught to use hand signals and taught to watch out for other vehicles. Seemed pretty civilized, to me. This was 65 years ago, mind you, and we wore denim instead of Lycra.
I did once have a cyclist deliberately block me on a rural highway. I went around him, stopped, got out of my truck, yanked his bicycle out from under him, spun around once and threw it over the fence and into the field. The guy sputtered indignantly but that was about it.
This guy was not a dedicated cyclist, mind you; he was just an a--hole on a bicycle. His personality would have been the same regardless of his mode of transportation.
This was close to thirty years ago, when I was a young man in my forties. I was a different person then. Today, my behaviour has modified with age. Today I would simply clip him behind the ear with my cane and not risk injury by throwing the bike. GD