Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I used to ride the roads in rural coastal MS very regularly. The roads are low traffic density 35-40MPH roads. I generally got treated pretty well with few exceptions. I bought this American flag T-shirt and wore it on a 50 mile ride. I had never been treated better in my life. Cars slowing way down. Cars passing slowly. Cars giving widest possible berth. No engines moaning under the strain of acceleration. People waving as they passed. At the time, I opined that the American flag T-shirt resonated with the good ole boys and girls in the rural south in a way that "humanized" the encounter. No longer was I an annoyance in spandex, but a patriotic human and someone they could relate with. I continued wearing that shirt and continued getting treated remarkably well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Agree. I usually wore my USMC cycling jersey. Folks seemed to like that and I didn't get harassed. Oh, also learned that my tiny 9mm Kahr in a pocket holster, would fit nicely in my jersey pocket. Just in case.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A neck injury is keeping me from my road bike these days, but I'm still enjoying the mountain bike and hiking.

Regards, Guy