Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by badger
The only cyclists that I have an issue with are those who ride like azzholes, blowing through stop signs and traffic lights,

If I was on my bicycle in my car in front of you on a narrow busy 30 MPH road and we came up to a red light and ran it, how would that negatively affect you?

It is entirely possible that by running the red light I not only enhance my safety by not having potentially impatient and aggravated motorists trying to pass me after the light turns green, but it would also make it better for you in that you wouldn't be stuck behind me.
Would that make any difference?

Am I the car at the front or the one coming up behind?
You stipulated that you were in front… come on, get with it.
Why even have traffic laws?

I am less likely to run the red light in the car than I am on the bike. If I run the red light while operating either it is illegal, BUT. I am more likely to run the light on a bicycle for two reasons. I prefer not to have potentially impatient or unsafe motorists behind me when the light turns green. It is possible that by running the light I make life easier on them in that they don't have to be caught up behind me. There are more reasons. If I run it in my auto and make a mistake I am much more likely to hurt someone else than I would if I made a mistake on the bicycle. I am also much more likely to get a ticket if a cop sees me do it in the auto.

Think about the times you break the law while driving. You do it because you think you can safely do it, and you don't think you'll get a ticket, right?