"Variety is the spice of life", and Ross' articles were definitely varied. Didn't always agree, but I always read them because I learned something.
Yes, there has been a strong trend down in the writing of Handloader/Rifle. Hate to beat a dead horse, but the Rees fellow just isn't very interesting; although he's been writing for Wolfe for a LONG time.

Speaking of blue collar writers like Finn (long rest his soul!!!), what ever happend to that little bearded fellow from Alaska who went to town once a year and built 505 Gibbs rifles FOR FUN? I can't remember his name right now, and my back issues are in another room, but this fellow was wonderful fun. I ran into him at The Alaska Professional Hunters Assoc. booth during the SCI show in Reno. I was looking for Mel Gillis, the guide from our honeymoon, and ended up talking to this fellow for about an hour. Then ran into him as I entered the Firearms Engravers Guild show and he gave me a first rate tour of the booths and introductions to the makers of merit. We jointly rolled our eyes at the prices of some guns and took apart a few of the really interesting ones. I was surprised how eager the really good custom makers were to show you "under the hood". Phil Shoemaker, that was his name. His writing was as unassuming and practical as Finn's. Anyone know who if anyone he's still writing for?

Safe Hunting,

Clint