Slasher brings up an excellent point. In my stack of Rifle and Handloader back issues there is a plethoria of writers who are either no longer around or just no longer at Wolfe Publishing. I do miss some, but if I had decided to terminate my subscription, because they left for one reason or another, I would have missed a lot of articles that were well worth reading.

I get two other magazines at present, both of them free I might add because of Life memberships in an organization, and neither is in the class of Rifle or Handloader and still wouldn't be even if Ross or some other very well known writer started to write for them. In fact, if adding Ross was the only change in either of them I doubt I would pay to have them brought to my door. But, I will have to say that the magazines from Wolfe Publishing have pretty nearly always been worth my time and money to be brought to my door and read.

One writer does not make an entire magazine now, and I doubt it ever really did. I don't think even Jack OcConnor could have carried Outdoor life by himself, at least not well enough for me to want to buy the magazine then. Yes, Ross is evidently gone from Wolfe Publishing. But so is Ken Waters pretty much. Also Bob Hagel's name no longer graces the pages of these magazines. These are just a couple more of the really great ones I remember, but there have been replacements that keep me buying Rifle and Handloader on a consistant basis. I really can't think of another magazine I can say the same about over the years.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink