Originally Posted by Tonk
If I can't hit that animal off hand at 10 to 150 yards, I will use the sitting position or a tree, rock but not shooting sticks and especially for dangerous game animals.

Tonk, I don't know where you hunted, but where I went on my one safari (east central Namibia) there were many places where the brush was too high to sit, go prone, or even use a conventional kneeling position, but too low or insubstantial to provide support.

Out of eight animals, I shot five standing with the sticks, and one from a high double kneeling position, resting on the side of the sticks (not the steadiest position but steadier than I would have been offhand).

As for the others, I shot one from standing, rested on the side of a tree, and one from the window of a tower stand. There was also a close range offhand follow-up shot at a kudu (fatally hit from the sticks but it ran a short distance and got up when we approached it).

Only once did I set up to shoot from sitting (at a blesbok at 200 yards), but the PH's dachshund decided that was a good moment to go lie down right under the muzzle of my .375, so I held fire.

In short, I'm a big fan of the sticks ... but also practiced a lot with a homemade pair, both dry fire and at the range, for 6+ months before the trip.