Originally Posted by oregontripper
Originally Posted by oregontripper
RC, what range will 6x take you to on deer? confused

Rick,
Inquiring minds want to know?

I would hope that your mind would have something more important on it shocked

The only time I have a scope set to 6X is when I'm set up calling coyotes. At that magnification I have no problem shooting coyotes from the end of my muzzle to 200 yards. I killed this dog at 250 yards with the scope set on 8X. The rest wasn't the best; seated with sticks. I had also called him, so he was moving a lot and looking for me. 8 power was good in this situation. Target was pretty small for the 8 power as he was facing me looking for me.

[Linked Image]

I killed this one in the same position, seated with sticks, but at 565 yards. The dog was unaware of me, so I had time to crank the power to 20X and get as steady as possible.

[Linked Image]

When this question was posted, the real problem is the size of the target/power of the scope.

Sure a deer is a large target, but we're not just talking about hitting the animal. We're talking about hitting its vitals which are a smaller target, say 10". Like I've said, a lot of things depend on the choice of power. I like to have options.

6X is a .22LR plinker scope, close quarters varmint scope or a 100-200 stand hunter's deer scope.

10" targets are about 3 MOA at 300 yards. 6X will get you by. If I was shooting a deer at 300 yards and had the option, a solid rest and the time to increase my power setting from 6X to 20X, I would instantly. It will increase my ability to precisely place the shot.

If you want to really find out what works for you, simply shoot different sized targets at 100 yards and see how they look through your scope. I was shooting my buddy's AR the other day with a 1-6X set on 6X. The crosshairs completely cover a 1 MOA dot at 100 yards (1" bull). That isn't enough power for me. We shot 1 1/2" dots at 100 yesterday during our Tac Match. I will guarantee you that everyone had their scopes set to the highest magnification 20+X, even though we ran from our ammo to our rifles between each shot under time.

A 3" dot at 100 yards is about 3 MOA and 6X will do if that's all ya got.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.