Originally Posted by rcamuglia
How many of those rifles have ever seen the side of a mountain further than 1/2 mile from the road on a 'hunting' trip

[Linked Image]

About 2 miles from where I started.

Exactly my point..... pretty easy to haul whatever you want across the flat ass prairie. Hell, I could pack Emily, and all my gear across the course in Raton.... also flat. The SRM well imitates the shot you may have at a critter.... but I didn't see a single person there, aside from myself, that was shooting a 'hunting' set-up.... they, including you, were shooting guns built specifically for 'matches'. The gun I shot has hunted at sea level to 11,000 feet. It's killed big game and small..... it represented itself well..... but, it cost me a few hits too...

How much $$$$ does the average guy have into the rifle they shoot at the SRM.... no bullschitt.... I bet the average is $5000.

I bet the average weight of a rig there is 15lbs....

If it's purely a shooting thing.... why is so much spent on equipment?

What do you think the difference in score at the SRM would be... if say Pat and John B. shot it once with their rig of choice... then, we had them shoot it again with the same rig, only change the optic to a SS 6x? Two.... maybe three plates difference?

Here's a picture of half the rifles at Raton.... I bet it's close to $70,000 worth of iron....

[Linked Image]

That second one from the front looks familiar.... you think there's another rifle on that line in a picture like this?

[Linked Image]

For those who don't know the SRM, these are all the shots we're talking about....
40/60 are 500 yards or less. Stage 7 is shot off sticks (or whatever). None of these shots are 'easy'.... there's always wind and funky terrain.... not sure magnification is the critical element to hitting any of those 40.... the rest, well....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......