Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Royce

I don't think it's too far off to say that a six power scope will take almost all people past the capabilities of both them and their rifles.

We have a winner!

6x will never take a rifle to its full capability. This is a pretty simple thing to test..... shoot a couple groups with your variable power optic at 3x, 6x, and 9x.... betcha the groups are smaller on 9x than either of the others. Law of Diminishing returns applies.... as other factors such as FOV, eye box/relief, etc. must be considered.

Here's how I see it.... pick the Max range and target size you'd like to be able to hit. Then, pick the optic based on that.

Example: I want to consistently make 1st round hits on 2 MOA sized targets out to 800 yards. This is a pretty reasonable goal, there are matches all over the country that use the 1.5-2.5 MOA targets as a sort of 'standard'... and that's solid hits in big game vitals.

For me, I have no problem with a 3-9x or fixed 10x given the above example. I can see how folks with glasses, contacts, lesser vision, etc. would require more magnification for the same task.

Not sure I would have the same confidence past about 600 with a 6x. I've never felt like 9-10x was too much.... even calling coyotes. But every time I go fixed 6x there's an immediate instance when I want more magnification.

I think 6x as a Rev Limiter of sorts is a pretty decent idea... most folks shouldn't be shooting at BG past about 250 anyway. So, if you put in a little work, a 6x should take you out to 500 yards on 2 MOA sized targets quite well, and still serve well inside bow range.

I'll know soon... there's a 6x SS en route...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......