Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by 270Mag
Originally Posted by model70man
If anyone ever considers buying a rare Model 70 from Dave Riffle I would recommend a polygraph test on him first to make sure it wasn't put together from parts.

I don't know about Dave Riffle, but I would look at that type of activity the same way I view putting together 03 Springfields out of parts. As long as the numbers match up, and the parts are "correct", what's the problem?

Seriously? A "rare" rifle from parts?

You can have it.

Well, you selectively omitted that aspect of my original post, but perhaps I should have been clearer. I don't think there's anything wrong with swapping barrels around on Standard or FW rifles in common calibers like .270 or 30-06, as long as the barrel date matches the receiver s/n. Most of those rifles are not rare or particularly collectable. Taking a rare barrel off a receiver that's been buggered-up with sidemount holes and putting it on an unaltered receiver, for example, would be questionable. Even if the numbers matched. Reboring or rebarreling to a rare caliber and reproducing rollmarks, advertising a refin as original, etc. is unacceptable, as are the shenanigans I mentioned previously.

Last edited by 270Mag; 05/01/13.