A lot has to do with the terrain and local custom.

Here is an example. Feeder at 270 yds. Opening is about 25' across. Feeder is the spce just above the end of the barrel at 10 o'clock.

[Linked Image]

Here is a closer view of a dead hoglet taken at 270 yds.

[Linked Image]

They move constantly and if you're shot placement is not close to perfect or you are using a bullet of negligible caliber, they are gone and you don't find them if there is not a blood trail within 10' of the point of impact

[Linked Image]

It's not like hunting in the western states, and is not for everybody. Heck it don't bother me if you want to call it shootin' rather than hunting. I'm afield and enjoy being away from town and civilization. I get a kick out of trying to place a bullet within a couple inches of POA, watching them drop and paddle.
Most make for excellent table fare.

I've had guys from Oregon and New Mexico down to hunt hogs and deer. They have each said it was not what they thought.

Believe it or not, it's not like you sit there and the feeder goes off and a dozen 10 point bucks charge the feeder. IIRC I set out all or part of 35 days between October 1 and Jan. 1 last year and did not take a deer. Took a number of hogs though.

And viewing what's on the game cams is almost worth the trip.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/13/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.