Originally Posted by saddlesore

I probably have killed more elk than most on this forum and have never used a mono without any problems.

That single statement says probably more than you ever intended and certainly more than you could imagine.

Considering the loss of meat that occurs with lead bullets and which is due to the lead of and by itself, just looking at the value of the meat lost at grocery store meat cost, the cost of the monos well more than offset unless you only head shoot or you ignore the lead. I have killed close to fifty deer myself with monos. The people I have loaded them for have killed a few more. That's a sample of right on 100 that while not random, it is as close to random as the intentional act of shooting an animal is going to get. Out of that sample there have been no lost animal. There have been no animals that required a second shot. That's over about fifteen years using monos. Over fifty years using cup and core bullets I have personally killed a like number. I lost none, but there were a number that did need a second dose and that was a result of bullets either being deflected by bone or coming undone, something that's never happened with a mono that I have loaded.

I don't agree with a lot that rost has to say, and in fact I am skeptical of Texas people in general, but he may well be right. When it comes to killing critters monos might well be the best available for the job in competent hands. I have never seen anything less than perfect performance out of them.