Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by BWalker
The company I last worked for would not allow any asbestos on site and we ran Cat dozers,scrapers,loaders, etc.
I'm sure some Chinese stuff still contains it, but it's been phased out for 20 years from most products.
When copper and fish toxicity are talked about its copper sulfate that's the toxin, not pure copper as found in bullets. Besides comparing copper tp a power neuro toxin like lead is silly.

Not to disagree with you, but asbestos is still used on the brake lining of industrial heavy equipment. CA tried to ban it in 1999, but I don't think that it succeeded. Look at the EPA list that was published or revised in 2016 for the products not banned:
https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/us-federal-bans-asbestos

In relation to copper/gold and fish, I was just having fun. That said, all metals can be harmful to fish and humans. All depends on the amount of ingestion.

Just because they can use asbestos, doesn't mean they do. There are no active asbestos mines in the country, the liability is huge and like I mentioned Cat specifically hasn't used it for years.

BWalker, not trying to argue with you, but I hold two licenses, one for Asbestos abatement, and the other for lead paint. And no, I usually don't abate any of those materials, but it's a requirement at the place I work at. Asbestos mining is actively done on Canada and South Africa. Perhaps in your workplace asbestos shoes and pads aren't used. The problem is that not all brake shoes and pads are made in the US. Also, did you look at the EPA list of asbestos-containing products that are not banned? Did you notice "brake and clutch: linings"? Again that EPA report was revised or published in 2016 smile

Again:
https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/us-federal-bans-asbestos
Examples of asbestos-containing products not banned
The manufacture, importation, processing and distribution in commerce of these products, as well as some others not listed, are not banned.
Cement corrugated sheet
Cement flat sheet
Clothing
Pipeline wrap
Roofing felt
Vinyl floor tile
Cement shingle
Millboard
Cement pipe
Automatic transmission components
Clutch facings
Friction materials
Disk brake pads
Drum brake linings
Brake blocks
Gaskets
Non-roofing coatings
Roof coatings
Top of Page

Again, just because it's allowed doesn't mean it's used. And asbestos hasn't been mined in Canada in at least five years.
There was a legal case maybe ten years ago where Cat, Honeywell and another company that slips my mind where sued over asbestos exposure. Cat testified in that suit that the discontinued asbestos in 1989 or there abouts. You can look it up if you like.
And I have been involved in abatement projects that coat over 10 million dollars.
The liability is simply too high for.companoes tp mess with it anymore given that there are alternatives.
The other thing is even back in the mid 70's asbestos wasn't that common. The last steam plant I worked at was built in 1974 and had very little while the plant next to it built in the early 60's had tons of it.