Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The average hunter has more of a chance of dying from "climate change" than lead in big game. And "climate change" is a hoax!

There is a lot that can go wrong before someone dies. Witness some of the posts here.

Right. Just like those exposed to asbestos "for years". Some die, but more end up screwed up to one degree or the other.

Asbestos is a completely different material. While traces of lead can separate from a chunk of lead while traveling though flesh, asbestos does not. What the asbestos fiber does is to travel through flesh like a needle (for example), or travel in the blood stream after piercing though a blood vessel's wall, or just get stuck on the lungs and other body organs. Lead effects you central nervous system as a lot of poisons and other chemical compounds do.

By the way, it takes a long term exposure to asbestos (you have to ingest a lot of fibers for a long time such as the ship builder did during WWII). But a fiber here and there is not going to do much harm to you. According to some sources there has been a decline of asbestos-related death and sickness in recent years, but that may be because most of the people who got sick from it are already dead ? (who knows). There is a chance to ingest some asbestos fibers when you do heavy equipment brake work if you don't wear a respirator, or if you don't use the proper vacuum cleaner. Asbestos is still used in the brake lining of large trucks and heavy equipment.

I had colleague of mine die of peritoneal mesothelioma at age 40. He was a upper level manager and never got out in the field much. Some guys can suck asbestos in their whole lives and not miss a beat. Others cant. As with lead I would rather not take my chances and I have been exposed to both for the last decade due to my job. I also have always taken every precaution to protect myself.
I would be very suprised if asbestos is still used in brake linings. With all the asbestos related litigation companies in industry steer very clear of anything with asbestos in it.

Last edited by BWalker; 08/28/17.