Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by 700LH

Looks like the cyclist was heading for the shoulder, but had to cross the highway on-ramp.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I loathe the arrogant prixx.
They ride 3 wide with no shoulder.
Fuxx them and their spandex and high heels.

It takes less time to pass a group 3 wide than it does to pass a 3 deep.

Passing three side by side most certainly does not take less time. Sure the amount of time you're aside a cyclist is less, but it takes a lot more time and movement to move completely into the oncoming traffic lane, and then back into your lane. Back when I rode seriously, it was just common courtesy (as well as just plain faster) for groups to ride in single file when shoulders were narrow or non-existent. Or if riding two-three up, to call out "car back" and get single file. But times and entitlements change...

I'll take passing three cyclists one-up in a paceline on a country road over three side by side every day and twice eighteen times on Sundays.

Oh, and to anyone complaining about or defending cyclist behavior as shown or described in this thread - this ain't nothing. Spend a few days driving in SF. Literal home to the militant cyclist movement. Still, I can't condone the "rolling coal" behavior either.

To quote and expand on our MIA brother Steelhead's saying: "People are f---ers, and they abound."

I am not just speaking out of my ass. I have researched this. The larger the group the greater the time advantage to passing side by side cyclists, but the advantage applies to passing 3 side by side as opposed to strung out. This obviously assumes the motorist has to enter the oncoming lane to safely pass the cyclist. Where there's a useable shoulder or a lane wide enough for a motorist to safely share with the cyclist, then single file is best for the motorist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NGdQDEkWCE