Originally Posted by kenoh2
When the wife and I started cycling we both said there was no way that we would be wearing spandex shorts. After the first couple fifty mile rides we changed our minds. Spandex shorts with a chamois pad and plenty of chamois buttr is a necessity if riding over 35 miles.

We rarely ride on the road anymore but will attest that many riders are a-holes. If you think they're bad on the roads, try a bike trail close to a town. We've been run off the trail several times by oncoming riders.

The secret for me is a Brooks (leather) saddle, hard as a rock when new but they break in perfect. That and thin loose fittingnylon pants, no underwear. Works fine for me, never had a problem, even if it’s been two weeks or a month between rides,

Sure I too look silly out there, but it’s a different kind of silly.

Can you imagine a shower every three or four days (often happens on a trip) with them bicycling shorts? sick

Thin nylon doesn’t hold sweat, rinses out easily in water, put it on wet and it’s dry in 15 minutes. I think lots of people wear those ridiculous cycling outfits because they ain’t aware there’s any other way.

Greasing my a$$ and crotch with “butter”? sick sick heck the way I dress I don’t even need sun block. My way ain’t perfect but clearly the cycling community went way off the rails with respect to clothing a loooong time ago.

Likewise those silly shoes that hat clip into the pedals, I ride on regular platform pedals, wearing Crocs. About to put 60 or 70 miles in today on a 80lb bicycle no problem.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 07/31/19.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744