Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Define "too narrow to share"

It is the language used in the law you previously cited. I don't know how CA defines it. If a lane is too narrow to accommodate a cyclist riding about 2 feet from the curb or fog line and a car passing at a safe distance, then it is generally considered too narrow to share.

Ok, so our logic is similar. So that equates to any lane 10.5-11.5 feet wide or less. (5 foot wide car, 2-3 foot margin for safety, 3 foot wide cyclist, 2 feet from tire to edge of road. Again, should there be obstacles/right turns, cyclists exceeding the speed of traffic... then the cyclist has no need to abide by "as far to the right as practicable".

So justify cyclists saying they should take the lane if it's narrower than 14 feet. This, in instances when none of the exceptions to cvc 21202 apply. Doing so because "it feelz dangerous if i don't take the lane"

Oh, just realized you said two feet from the fog line. Nope, sorry. There's no mention of "fog line" in the regulation. And here's why: There are shoulders here that are 4 feet wide or more, no obstructions or debris whatsoever. Absolutely zero justification for riding outside them unless 21202 exceptions apply. And yet, there are the pair of riders, two up, chatting away, with one outside the shoulder by a couple feet. Becuz "I need to take the lane for safety".