Originally Posted by szihn

Ok.............show me a single shell out there that does it ALL better ------with the same or better bore life -------and the same or less recoil ---------in a the same weight or lighter weight rifle!

In other words a shell that does 30 things 85% well is greater (to my way of thinking) then a shell that does 3 things 100% perfectly well, but is lacking in bore life, user friendliness, or ease of carry, and has even sight disadvantages in the other 27 things.

Hmm. Lots of qualifiers there!

Suffice it to say that, for those of us that don't live in elk/bear/moose country, and for whom the opportunity to hunt any of the above incurs a significant financial commitment (out-of-state license fees, travel expenses, +/- guide and lodging expenses, time off work), barrel life and recoil are likely not foremost on our minds [and rifle weight is, likewise, of minimal concern, and, of course, varies widely]. Given even the remote possibility of having to take a quartering shot at 300 yards or more at a 400 class bull elk (yep, I know, dreaming!), versus maybe passing on the shot and hoping for a better angle, I can easily think of a half dozen or more .30 cal-plus rifles I'd rather be toting.

Similarly, for hunting the much smaller-bodied pronghorn antelope, or south Texas white tail, or even Axis, deer (yep, we have them here), for which a projectile weighing over about 140 grains is, in my estimation, wholly unnecessary, I can think of a number of rifle cartridges that are better suited. YMMV.

Punching holes in paper at 100 yards, or ringing gongs at 1000 yards? I'm pretty sure the 30-06 doesn't win any popularity contests there either. There are better choices.