Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Certainly the 30-06 is a great cartridge and I consider it overpowered for much of the big game it is used on.

And I'll never understand why that is a negative?

I have been cogitating this a while. I've killed deer with 243s/6mms (223s were not legal for WT when I had one) --
and many cartridges up thru 8mm RM, or 35 Whelen depending on how you consider 'bigger or larger'.

I cleaned/dressed virtually ALL the deer I've killed + some others have.

FROM my personal observation -- the 8mm RM did NOT do noticeably any more physical damage than a 270 - 308 -
7mm RM - OR 30-06. That's probably because of bullet construction. I have made NO secret that I'm not particularly
a fan of Speer bullets for deer hunting.

AFTER killing WT with the 8, I read that Speer designed that 200 Spitzer for Elk. I'd say they did a good job.

HONESTLY - I can NOT say that the 30-06 is excessively destructive > with proper bullets <. NOTE I have never shot a WT with a N P (Nosler Partition) or other premium bullets >. IM estimation, 99 % of the bullets I've used have been
Hornady I Ls.

I have another question: Why would we seek to find the cartridge that does the 'minimum' fatal damage ?

That would lead us to be absolutely certain of only shooting under ideal circumstances.
I'm not being sarcastic nor facetious, Can we kill them TOO dead ?

I choose to be overgunned. I read that somewhere? lol

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 02/26/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!