"As with boring old fixed-power scope, rifle loonies these days often think nit-picky details about cartridges, rifles and scopes make far more difference than they actually do."

Oh, WTH do you know? grin

Until I got on these kind of forums maybe 20 years ago, had no idea so many hunters looked down their noses at the Ought Six.

Years ago I acquired a minty US Remington 1903 sporter for cheap. Liked how it looked and handled, beautiful walnut stock, decent job of redoing it. Figure that had taken place back in the 1950s?

Put a 60s vintage K4 Weaver on it and killed some deer. Seldom use it these days, but two grandsons have borrowed it at various times. Both have killed deer with it. One is primarily a bow hunter and keeps telling me he is getting his own rifle. But each fall he'll call and want to know if I still have that old 30-06 and can he still borrow it in rifle season? Yep and yep.

In the thirty years I've had it and the boys have used it, every deer that ever came up in them skinny cross hairs, died when the trigger was squeezed. Killed my heaviest buck ever with it back in '93. One shot, drama over. I favor other cartridges, but there ain't a thing wrong with that cartridge. Given the price of more modern ammo, one can still pick up a box of 150gr soft points for less than $16 and have a pretty good chance of taking game with them.

Amazing to me, that a nearly perfect big game cartridge was designed for other purposes 117 years ago and is still going strong.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.