Originally Posted by moosemike
So if I'm reading this right with the Barnes mono bullets the 270, 7mm-08, and 308 have all taken a quantum leap forward in performance thus rivaling the 30-06. But the 30-06 evidently gains nothing from these all copper projectiles and therefore cannot outpace these smaller cartridges? So in essence it's a draw between the 30-06 and the lesser cartridges?

Of course the 30-06 benefits from all the technology improvements. That seems so obvious I didn't think it needed to be explicitly stated. Sorry for not being clearer.

The point is, with the technology improvements, all cartridges got better. Now, the aforementioned cartridges function really well on elk on down to antelope, etc. And, the 30-06 is overkill in an unnecessarily heavy package. If folks want the heavy rifle overkill, that is their prerogative. But, that doesn't mean it is still the best tool for the job.

I am not trying to convince anyone who loves shooting their 30-06 to change to a different cartridge. All I am saying is that the 30-06 is no longer the best cartridge for the majority of hunters.

I think I've explained my position well enough that people who are open-minded have enough info to understand my point. Whether they agree is up to them. The close-minded people will never try to understand what I am saying, so there is no point continuing to explain to them. Consequently, this is my last post on this thread. Thanks everyone for the interesting responses.