Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
That's a bit unfair to Buddhism and Taoism from what I know of them.

Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha, never really talks about a God, he sort of mentions "the gods" in an offhand manner sometimes. But what stands out is that he said basically "what I'm telling you works for me. Try it yourself, if it doesn't work, then try something else."

Taoism, from the Tao te Ching or Way of Life, also never talks about being a true religion, it doesn't even call itself a religion. The guy who supposedly wrote it just wrote down some things about the way the universe flows, and folks can go with that flow or against it.

Humans later on deified Buddha even though he never claimed to have any supernatural origin, plus they added a whole bunch of technical stuff which AFAIK he never talked about. I don't believe there is any central deified figure in Taoism although again, humans have created a structure of religion around it. Buddhism, Taoism and Hinduism, not having a central god figure, are basically pretty peaceful religions, you won't find much in the way of crusades or mass wars caused by their believers. "It's God's will that we destroy you! (that salves our conscience about the horrible, sadistic brutality we bring upon you and makes it okay)" Absent that whole "god's will" thing folks tend to treat their fellows much better. The Hindus have fought against the Muslims but that's probably as much politically and economically based as the deadly struggles between Protestants and Catholics.

The Christian and Islamic power brokers are the two biggies who will kill you if you disagree, and in Christianity that's the extant remnant of the Roman Empire working symbiotically with secular governments to enlarge and cement their power. I suspect it's the same with Islam except the Islamic clerics want to be the entire government with no competition from secular sources.

Tell it to JESUS.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin